Follow me here…
I still need more time to detail the cockpit.
I have reached my upload limit so further progress will be on My Forgotten Hobby IV.
I had some leftover green paint yesterday and I wanted to use it.
I had to react fast. I knew it was a “perfect” match for the P-39 so I painted some parts.
I won’t be starting the P-39 just yet. I didn’t want to have leftover paint.
Eventually the P-39 will be featured on My Forgotten Hobby IV.
Thursday August 19, 2021
I just read this comment (Wednesday 18 August, 2021, 12h38).
The Marauder isn’t painted “interior green”. It is painted (in the cockpit and nose, and rear gunner’s turret) in Dark Green (Tamiya XF-67 NATO Green will work). The bomb bay is Neutral Gray, and the rear fuselage is unpainted aluminum.
I told you My Forgotten Hobby was like a sitcom full of surprises. I always have a draft written one or a few days before I hit the Publish button.
On Monday night I had painted the cockpit area dark green, then not liking what I did, on Tuesday morning I got thinking that I should use zinc chromate instead.
This is what I wrote on Wednesday morning…
Lots of excitement when I start painting and my workbench proves it.
I first tried this shade of green which looks more a dark gray on some parts and then I changed my mind when I saw these photos on this Website…
I reverted to my homemade zinc chromate which looks darker here.
The wings have been glued in sections with extra thin cement. No gaps to be seen.
I did some dry fitting and noticed a gap on the starboard wing. I scraped a little plastic which was causing it.
I will give a final coat of zinc chromate and paint the cockpit details. Next step should be mating the fuselage halves.
End of the intended post.
98.3%, that’s how much I have uploaded on my 3GB upload limit on My Forgotten Hobby III. I will have to migrate sooner or later to My Forgotten Hobby IV.
I have updated my collection. The F-86 and the MiG-15 are now part of history so I only have 80 model kits in my collection.
With this in mind I am moving a little faster now as I am waiting to start painting the interior.
The main landing gears have been glued. The turret has been dry fitted.
One wing has been glued in sections using extra thin cement.
The other wing will receive the same treatment later.
I still have to encounter that “horrible” fit Plane Dave talked about, but I am vigilant, always dry fitting before glueing parts. Whatever happens I am willing to live with any unsightly gaps.
Next time, homemade interior green?
I have just realised this is post 351 and I have almost reached my 3 gigabytes upload limit. Don’t worry I have a solution…
I am moving right along taking small steps as I am waiting to start painting the interior.
I prefer glueing small parts while they are still attached on the sprue.
I have learned to use my tweezers to hold small pieces while the glue sets. I have glued the .50 calibre guns since I won’t play with them. The same for the turret.
Yesterday the guns were glued from the inside using the locating pins.
Again I am quite satisfied with the result but I am still tempted to start this…
I know I will be able to resist.
I am quite satisfied with the result.
A quite noticeable gap could be seen between the nose and the front fuselage.
The machine gun will be glued at the end.
Something got in the way and I will start painting the interior later than expected. I could only manage this.
As a footnote, I was thinking maybe I could start building this…
I will hit the pause button for awhile although this project is quite tempting.
Box top image taken on Scalemates
I bought Monogram’s P-39 in 1969 and I bought it again out of nostalgia in the 1990s. It’s still in the secret vault.
But not for long as Inch High Guy was again inspirational. He likes to walk around…
Instruction sheet for the P-39 is here…